Mike is a partner in the firm’s litigation section. Mike graduated magna cum laude from the University of Georgia School of Law in 1997. While at Georgia, Mike was a member of the Editorial Board of the Georgia Law Review and was inducted as a member of the Order of Coif.
Mike started his legal career with Barron & Redding three days after graduating from law school, and practiced with the firm from 1997-2008 when he left as a full partner to accept a position as an assistant professor of law at the Charleston School of Law in Charleston, South Carolina. While at CSOL, he taught commercial law and alternative dispute resolution. His scholarship has appeared in the Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution, the official journal of the ABA Section of Dispute Resolution, and he presented his empirical research on court-annexed mediation at the Section’s spring conference in April, 2010.
Mike rejoined the firm as a full partner in May, 2010. Over the years, Mike has represented civil litigants in a wide variety of disputes, ranging from defective product claims to complex commercial litigation. He is also very active with the Florida Bar, having served as chair of the Bar’s Code and Rules of Evidence Committee in 2003-04, on the Bar’s Circuit Civil Rules Committee, and on the Florida Board of Bar Examiners. Mike was certified by the Florida Supreme Court as a Circuit Court Mediator in 2004.
Mike has received an AV peer review rating from Martindale Hubbell, signifying the highest level of professional excellence. He was also named as one of Florida Trend Magazine’s Legal Elite in 2011, in the field of commercial litigation.
Prior to entering the practice of law, Mike served as an F-15 pilot United States Air Force from 1986-1994. During that time, he flew 31 combat missions in the Persian Gulf War.
University of Southern California, AB, 1986.
Troy State University, M.S., 1993.
University of Georgia School of Law, JD, magna cum laude, 1997.
- Editorial Board, Georgia Law Review
- Order of the Coif
American Bar Association (member, Section of Litigation, Section of Dispute Resolution)
Florida Bar (former chair, Code and Rules of Evidence Committee; Civil Procedure Rules Committee)
Florida Board of Bar Examiners (Grader, Member 2006-08)
St. Andrews Bay American Inn of Court (Barrister, Group Leader)
Bay County Bar Association
Certified Circuit Court Mediator
The Federalist Society
Author, ADR Gone Wild: Is It Time for a Federal Mediation Exclusionary Rule, 25 Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution (2010).
Author, The Florida Evidence Code and the Separation of Powers Doctrine: How to Distinguish Substance and Procedure Now That It Matters, 34 Stetson Law Review 109 (Fall 2004).
Author, Conflict of Laws and the Dangerous Instrumentality Doctrine in Florida, Trial Advocate Quarterly (Fall) 1999).
Editor, Receiverships in Florida, Florida Civil Practice Before Trial (6th ed.).
Editor, Evidence in Florida (2007 ed.)
Author, Crawford v Washington: Testimonial Hearsay meets the Confrontation Clause, Bulletin of the ABA Committee on Trial Evidence (Fall 2004).
Author, Demand Letters and Diversity Jurisdiction, Bulletin of the ABA Committee on Trial Evidence (Spring 2006).
- Lead litigation counsel in Girls Gone Wild Federal Civil Litigation.
- Lead trial lawyer representing a regional trade show corporation in a dispute involving breach of contract and business tort against a local county and a global venue management company.
- Lead counsel in a multi-jurisdictional dispute involving the design, manufacture and installation of chip mill components.
- Trial counsel in defense of a seven-figure product liability claim relating to an alleged failure of a soccer shin guard.
- Defended a limited partnership in a claim by a timeshare homeowners association in a lawsuit over $250,000 in insurance proceeds following Hurricane Opal.
- Lead litigation counsel in takeover and rehabilitation of rural hospital by secured lender.
- Lead trial counsel in dispute over failed computer software joint venture, resulting in verdict of over $800,000.00.
- Represented owners and realtors throughout Northwest Florida in disputes involving commissions, negligence, and dissolution of real estate businesses.